A GEORGE III SILVER TEA CADDY ON STAND
Lot 63

A GEORGE III SILVER TEA CADDY ON STAND

MARK OF ANDREW FOGELBERG AND STEPHEN GILBERT, LONDON, 1785

Closed7 July 2023

Price Realised

GBP 6,930

More Information

Conditions of Sale
How to sell

A GEORGE III SILVER TEA CADDY ON STAND
MARK OF ANDREW FOGELBERG AND STEPHEN GILBERT, LONDON, 1785
The plain oval caddy applied with a band of Vitruvian scroll and husks on a matted ground, with beaded borders, the hinged cover with a beaded drop ring handle, engraved on body with a coat-of-arms, the cover with a crest, on openwork base on ball feet with four fluted ram's mask capped legs hung with laurel garlands, marked underneath caddy and in cover
6 3/8 in. (16.2 cm.) wide
22 oz. 17 dwt. (712 gr.)
The arms are those of Bridgeman quartering Mathews, Newport and Wilbraham, with Simpson in pretence, for Sir Henry Bridgeman 4th Bt. (1725-1800), later created 1st Baron Bradford (1725-1800), and his wife, Elisabeth Simpson, daughter and heir of the Rev. John Simpson of Stoke and Balworth, whom he married in 1755.

Sir Henry Bridgeman 4th Bt. (1725-1800), later created 1st Baron Bradford (1725-1800).
Miss E. M. Gibbons; Sotheby's, London, 1 February 1973, lot 153.
Anonymous sale; Christie's, South Kensington, 9 September 2003, lot 207.

Specialist note


SIR HENRY BRIDGEMAN 4TH BT.
Henry was educated at Queen's College Cambridge, and succeeded his father, Sir Orlando Bridgeman, as 4th baronet in 1764. He was awarded a Doctor of Laws by Cambridge in 1769 and a Doctor of Civil Laws by Oxford in 1793. He inherited the Weston Part estate from his uncle in 1762. He served for 20 years as M.P. for Ludlow and Wenlock, and was elevated to the peerage as the 1st Baron Bradford upon his retirement in 1794. He also served as clerk of the household to the Prince of Wales until his accession as King George III in 1760. Baron Bradford died in London on 5 June 1800.

The Victoria and Albert Museum has a related silver-gilt teapot on a similar stand (M.47&A-1960), also by Fogelberg. It has been suggested that the design may be attributed to Sir William Chambers (1726-1796), see lot 70.