Salvador Dalí (1904-1989) and Edward James (1907-1984)
Lot 31

Salvador Dalí (1904-1989) and Edward James (1907-1984)

A pair of Champagne standard lamps

Closed15 December 2016

Price Realised

GBP 425,000

More Information

How to sell

Salvador Dalí (1904-1989) and Edward James (1907-1984)
A pair of Champagne standard lamps
modelled as stacked champagne glasses with tray bases decorated with ivy, some ‘glasses’ with removable half-section inserts
gold-painted and lacquered brass
Height: 63 in. (160 cm.)
(2)Conceived by Salvador Dalí and Edward James and commissioned from Green & Abbott in 1938, in an edition of four of which two remain with the Edward James Foundation at West Dean.

Made for Edward James by Green & Abbott in 1938.
At Monkton House, West Dean Estate, West Sussex, until 1986, and then moved to West Dean House, West Sussex.
The Edward James Foundation, West Dean, West Sussex.

Specialist note

The present lot is one of two pairs that were supplied to James for use in Monkton. One pair was to be sited in the Business Room, the other pair positioned adjacent to the pair of worsted-trimmed Mae West Lips Sofas, flanking the fireplace in the Dining Room. Examination of the communication between James and John Hill’s firm Green & Abbot, whose design drawings for the lamps are dated 7 March 1938, reveals James’s fastidious attention to every detail. A first pair was already in place by late July 1938, however these were to be recalled to Green & Abbot so that the shades could be raised by a mere four inches. Further intrigue concerned the wells of the champagne cups, which were proving popular as ashtrays amongst James’s guests. Initially James considered having these thinly lined with glass, before settling upon hemispherical metal cups correctly patinated to invisibly match the shaft. The final considerations concerning the ornamentation of the lamps involved the gilt-painting of ivy leaves to the Rococo-style base, with the first completed pair being delivered on the 19 December 1938, the second and final pair being received by summer 1939. That these two pairs of lamps should require over a year of consistent revisions to the design bears witness to the immense commitment that James expressed towards achieving perfection in his ambition. The other, matching pair of lamps of this design remain with the Edward James Foundation.